Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Welcome Ryan Patrick Haight

We are so excited that our sweet little boy, Ryan Patrick, has finally arrived!! He made a quick entrance to the world on Monday, February 27th at 9:06 pm, weighing in at 7 lbs 4 oz and 21 inches long. So far he's been a wonderful little guy, letting mom and dad sleep and nursing very well.



His big sister, Ellie, is super excited to have him around calling him 'my baby' or 'baby brother.' She's enjoyed holding him and figuring out all the little coo noises he makes.




And for those of you who are interested about delivery details (and for my own personal documentation). I started contracting Monday morning about 12:00 am - very mild contractions just over 5 min apart. By 4 am they had gotten really sporadic and I managed to get some sleep in. Mom, Jared's Mom and I headed out for lunch around 11:30 and by 1 pm I felt like things were picking up again - stronger contractions and slightly more regular in nature between 4-6 minutes apart. We figured it'd be good to head to triage to get checked since at my appointment Thursday I was already dilated to a 4 and 70% effaced. Unfortunately there hadn't been any progress so we walked for an hour at the hospital and checked again - still nothing. At this point the nurse sent me home - while a little surprised, I understood that things just weren't there yet, although the nurse could have been a little more nice or helpful in discharging me. It wasn't too long before things really picked up - my back labor was horrible by 6 pm and I had already been in and out of the bath a couple of times. By 6:30 and through 7:30 I labored pretty intensively and contractions were close together about 3 min apart. By the time we left the house just after 8 - contractions had gotten even closer together at 2 min apart and on the way to the hospital I felt like I had to push. A quick trip through triage confirmed I was between 7.5 and 8 cm dilated (by a rough estimate of the nurse) and I was rushed to delivery. There were so many people helping to get me situated since I was clearly uncomfortable and by the time they checked me to get a full estimate on my dilation, I was a 9. For those of you with kids, or in nursing, you probably know what that meant - no epidural. Fortunately I had the best nurse and Jared really stuck by my side and coached me through it. So after 20-30 min of being in the hospital we had Ryan - just 3 pushes.

The difference between my experience with Ellie (29 hours of contractions, 7 hours of active labor with an epidural) and this was a complete 180. I am enjoying being more alert, not completely exhausted and the ability to move right after delivery.

1 comment:

  1. Baby Ryan is such a cutie! He sure does look like a Haight baby. Glad to hear you are both doing so well.
    I sure wish we weren't so far away -- he'll be half grown by the time we see him!
    Congratulations to all of you!
    Great-aunt Happy

    ReplyDelete