Sunday, August 26, 2012
A trip to Seattle
All summer I've been excited to take Ellie to the zoo in Seattle. As I figured she'd finally old enough to enjoy it. So we made the trek - rolling into Seattle at 12:30 am after the pitstop at the fair. We are so lucky to have such good family - Jared's cousin Whitney let us stay at her apartment even though she and Kellan were in Moses Lake for the weekend. It was incredibly nice to have a place of our own with beds for all of us and the location was PERFECT! About 5 min to the zoo and 10 min from Fremont where we went to dinner Saturday night. So thanks guys!
Saturday morning we got to the zoo at 10:30 and planned our attack. We were actually given tickets to the zoo from my work for our annual picnic which was a treat to not pay the price for entry, or lunch! We noticed that the giraffes were having their feeding time so we hustled over there and got Ellie up to experience a up close interaction. She was a little nervous at first - she'd hold the leaf out for the giraffe and then drop it when it got close. But as she got comfortable, she got excited as the giraffe would take it from her hand. I wish I could show you the expression on her face.
We also enjoyed the flamingos! Ellie loved that they were pink and orange.
As part of the picnic, the office gave everyone tickets to ride the carousel. Ellie loved it. Initally she didn't want to ride a horse that 'moved' (up and down) but after her first trip she decided that she'd try it and loved it even more. When we headed back from dinner to Whitney & Kellan's we asked Ellie her favorite part of the day. Her response was the horses. Of course we didn't see acutal horses at the zoo, so she must have meant the carousel. BUT - at bed time, she was so exhaused from a busy day with no nap, that she was fighting sleep. I was laying with her and she got quite and still. All of a sudden she busts out with "I, I, feed the giraffe, a, a, leaf, and and I LOVED IT!" After that she crashed hard. Made my heart melt.
The next morning we ventured out to Pikes Place Market. It wasn't too busy initially that morning which was nice for hauling both kids around. We walked up the far south end of Post Street Alley and past the gum wall. Ryan was pretty sleepy still so he looks a little out of it. And then past Rachel the Pig, which Ellie was a little concerned about since she wasn't too fond of the pigs at the fair the night before.
We went and got coffee at Seattle's Best in Post Street Alley - our favorite. Ellie got a Cocoa Trio - the best hot cocoa ever - its got white, milk and dark choclate in it, plus has dark and white chocolate shavings on the top with a milk chocolate stick. Ellie literally chugged that thing - and then ate the chocolate stick. When Jared asked her what about sharing it with Mommy and Daddy - her response - "If you get me another one, I'll share with you." Smart girl. Then Piroshkis - Ellie apparently has the same taste as Jared and I for these yummy pockets. She ate quite a bit of Jared's. We walked around a bit thereafter and enjoyed the market sights and sounds. Before we left we got my favorite gelato - can't make a trip without stopping there. Ellie loved it as apparent by the giant bite of watermelon gelato that she took in this picture.
All and all it was a great trip and I can't wait to go again next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment